The themes for the next summer schools are
- Circular Economy in Mining Industry (summer 2020) and
- Advanced Materials and Their Production (summer 2021).
The more detailed information will be updated on this page once confirmed.
Summer School in Finland (29 July – 23 August, 2019)
Let’s enjoy and learn!
Three vivid northern towns (Kajaani, Kemi and Rovaniemi), beautiful nature, and modern mines wait for you in Finland in summer 2019. Did you know that Finland is one of the fastest growing mining regions in the world? Read more about Finnish mining industry.
Programme in Kajaani University of Applied Sciences (KAMK) and Lapland University of Applied Sciences:
- Orientation work before the intensive period in Finland (3 ECTS) Instructions
- Four week camp in Finland including expert lectures, workshops, laboratory work, field trips and social
programme (10 ECTS)
- Final report and feedback (2 ECTS)
**Download detailed programme**
Theme in summer 2019: Intelligent Mine Technology
Virtuality and reality in mining operations
• Overview on mining industry in Finland
• Modern mining automation
• Virtualization of mining education
• Field trips in several mines such as Terrafame, Boliden Kevitsa, Outokumpu Kemi Mine, SMA Minerals
• Participation in KAMK’s joint r&d -projects with industry
Work Safety and Environmental Safety in Mining
• Mine safety protocols in Finnish mining industry
• Finnish geological properties and the most important minerals in Finland
• Environmental effects in metal ore mining
• Field trip in Gold Prospecting site in Lemmenjoki River
• Participation in Lapland University of Applied Sciences joint r&d -projects with industry
• Closing seminar with certificate award ceremony
How to Apply
The summer school 2019 is full. For possible openings, please contact Mr Risto Oikari (contacts below).
The participants should have completed some basic studies in the field of mining before joining the summer school. The themes for the future summer schools are Circular Economy in Mining Industry (summer 2020) and Advanced Materials and Their Production (summer 2021).
Within Finland, we recommend flying from Helsinki to Oulu. There is a flight from Beijing via Helsinki to Oulu arriving at 17.00 on Sunday 28th July. Bus transportation from Oulu to Kajaani will be provided immediately after the arrival of this flight. It takes approximately 2,5 hrs by bus to reach Kajaani.
Transportation from the last location, Kemi, to Oulu after the summer school, on 23 August will also be provided. There are flights to Beijing and Chongqing via Helsinki departing at 14.40.
Venues, accommodation, costs
The admin fee for summer school is 1650 € including a study fee, service package and taxes. The service package includes accommodation for four weeks, student lunches at KAMK and Lapland University of Applied Sciences campuses (transportation provided between campuses) during the school days and a social programme. The student accommodation will be provided during the intensive period in the cities of Kajaani and Rovaniemi in Finland.
Accommodation in Kajaani will be arranged in shared student apartments on campus. The rooms will be available on Sunday 28 July at the earliest.