Student Health Care Services

Kajaani University of Applied Sciences has its own student health care centre called VITAL. The VITAL health-care services are available to all our students.

VITAL's nursing staff is available 

  • without an appointment from Monday to Friday at 8.00 - 9.30 or
  • over the phone from Monday to Friday at 12.00 - 12.45.


VITAL's public health nurses are located at Ketunpolku 1, in library building. The services of a public health nurse are free of charge. As of 1.4.2016 a fee will be charged for seeing the doctor at the Student Health Centre. The fee is 20,90 € per visit and it will be charged for the three first visits in one year. Please note that the fee may be higher for students who are non-EU-citizens and not registered their home municipality in Finland.

Contact information:
School of Business
Ms Minnamari Tiikkaja
Tel. +358 44 797 4894
Email. minnamari.tiikkaja(a)

School of Tourism and Sports
Ms Päivi Haverinen
TEL. + 358 44 797 4892
Email. paivi.m.haverinen(a)

Health Care System in Finland

In Finland there are two systems of health care, public and private. The main healthcare system in Finland consists of municipal health services. Alongside the municipal system, private and occupational health services are also provided. Neither is completely free of charge. The quality of service in Finnish health care is considered to be good. Permanent residents of Finland are registered for residence-based social security at their local Kela office to obtain the national sickness insurance card (Kela card) and are entitled to residence-based social security benefits.

Foreign students can apply for a municipality of residence from their local registry office (= Maistraatti in Finnish) in Finland. A municipality of residence if the students are considered to reside in Finland permanently and they possess a residence permit for at least one year for the purposes of studying, and their studies in Finland will last at least two years. 
When students have a municipality of residence in Finland they will be able to receive health centre and hospital services at the same price as Finns. If you do not have a municipality of residence, you will have to apply for compensation from your insurance company. It is recommended that you examine the terms and conditions of your health insurance agreement carefully! Students should establish in detail what compensation the insurance provides and which procedures they must follow if they require hospital treatment or health centre services. For example, some insurance companies must be contacted before they will allow clients to receive care.

Even though you may have a municipality of residence in Finland you will not be automatically covered by the Finnish Social Security system, and therefore you will not be able to receive benefits such as e.g. student grants.

Before entering Finland you have to have the following vaccinations: polio (4 vaccinations), tetanus-diphteria (less than 10 years old) and mpr x 2 (measles-partitis-rubella). Bring the vaccination certificates in English with you.

The Emergency Phone Number in Finland is 112.

Health Care Services

If you need continuous medication, you must bring your medication with you or make sure before your arrival that you are able to obtain the same medication in Finland. Please note that sending of medicines to Finland from outside EU is strictly forbidden.

1) 24-hour Health Advice Telephone Service

If you are not sure whether a doctor is needed or you wish to ask for advice, you can call the 24-hour duty nurse and health advice telephone service on 08 6156 6000. The duty nurse's telephone and health advice service operates around the clock in the emergency outpatients' department.

The aim of the duty nurse's telephone and health advice service is to ensure that clients can contact a healthcare professional who will initially assess their need for care as quickly as possible and can direct them to the right place at the right time to receive the care they may require.

2) Public Sector Health Care Services

Health care in Finland is mainly provided on the basis of residence and is primarily financed with general tax revenues. Primary health care services are the responsibility of the municipalities and are generally provided through local health centers. The municipalities own and operate almost all of the hospitals.

The medical fees are given in the document linked below.

Emergency care is available for everybody irrespective of citizenship if the condition of a patient requires it (unforeseeable illness).

It depends on the time of the day where to go if you need urgent medical care:

Health Centre (in Finnish: Terveyskeskus) address: Satamakatu 2
- during office hours Mon-Fri 8.00 - 16.00
Central Hospital (in Finnish: Keskussairaala) address: Sotkamontie 13
- urgent care during evenings, nights and weekends

For non-urgent care you can either make an appointment at the Health Center (public sector) or in the private sector. The queues in the public sector are long and it is recommended to make an appointment in the private sector, where you can usually make an appointment within the next days.


EU/EEA citizens:

A patient must have a European healthcare card, E111 form or travel insurance. Nordic citizens need only a passport, a healthcare-insurance card or an identity card. Fees are the same for Finns and members of other EU/EEA citizens, but without the above mentioned documents patients will be charged the real costs of the care they have received.

Other countries:
Fees charged will amount to the real costs, but a person who has the right to a place of domicile is entitled to normal healthcare centre services.

Students with a permanent residence permit in Finland may be considered on a case to case basis. Please contact the public health nurse for more information.

3) Private Sector Health Care Services

Private sector services, which mainly provide out patient care, complement public services. Patients who use private sector services pay the entire cost of the service to the provider, after which they can apply for a refund from the the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) under the Health Insurance Act, or from their own insurance.

The private sector may be a good choice since the prices are almost the same or even cheaper and it may be easier to make an appointment in the private sector. For non-EU-citizens without the municipality of residence in Finland, this may sometimes be the cheapest option.


In Finland, only pharmacies (= apteekki in Finnish) have the right to sell medicines. Please note that sending of medicines to Finland from outside EU is strictly forbidden.


The Town of Kajaani has an insurance which covers students while they are inside the UAS buildings, on their way to and from the UAS (shortest route) and during practical training. The insurance covers injury care, doctors’ fees, medication and laboratory tests. In some cases physical and mental rehabilitation is covered, the final decision resting with the insurance company’s doctor.

Should you have an accident and suffer an injury which requires care, go to the doctor as quickly as possible and inform the doctor that the accident is covered by the above insurance system. Make sure that you keep all receipts and take them to the Pohjola insurance company where you should inform them of the accident in writing.

Insurance Solution for International Students
Kajaani UAS has negotiated with MARSH/SIP a specific insurance solution for its international students. The insurance packages are primarily for non EU/EEA students but can be bought by EU students if they wish to have private health insurance during their stay in Finland. All information on the SIP packages can be found on the website 
Healthcare Fees (public sector)
health_fees.pdf (176.7 kB)