Exchange students are insured by KAMK's accident insurance during school hours just as Finnish students. KAMK's insurance covers also non-paid trainees as students.  Remember to check that your own insurance covers travelling and leisure time, sickness as well as possible accidents.

Students coming from countries other than the Nordic countries are entitled to use public health care services in acute cases of illness or accidents requiring medical attendance by using the European Health Insurance Card. The European Health Insurance Card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.

Students from third countries

Citizens of third countries arriving in Finland for the purpose of study or student exchange are required to have a health insurance, if the study or student exchange lasts for more than three months.

Health insurance is a requirement for obtaining a residence permit for studies. Foreign students must have a health insurance policy that covers the costs of medical care. If the duration of the studies is at least two years, it is sufficient that the insurance policy covers pharmaceutical costs. The health insurance must be in force upon entry into Finland. The insurance policy must be issued by a reliable and financially sound company or institution.

See full requirements for needed insurance from the MIGRI's website.

For example, insurances that cover the necessary requirements for the Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) are: