Home / en / Applicants / Information for Accepted Students / Registration (EU-citizens)

Registration (EU-citizens)

The Member States of the European Union (EU), apart from Finland, are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. The free mobility provisions enjoyed by citizens of EU Member States are also applied to the citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The citizens of those comparable countries are thus equated with EU citizens.

EU citizens may stay in Finland for a maximum of three months without registering their right of residence if they have a valid identity card or passport. 

EU-citizens who reside in Finland for more than 3 months have to register their right of residence. The registration application is recommended to be done in the e-service Enter Finland. The application should be submitted within three months of the date of entry into Finland.

To register a right of residence, you will need the following:

  • your national proof of identity or passport
  • as you are a student: proof that you have enrolled at an educational institution in Finland (=study certificate) 
  • proof that you have sufficient income to support yourself. You are not required to have a specific amount of money. Your personal circumstances are taken into account when considering the income requirement. 
  • proof that you have sufficient health insurance coverage (European Health Insurance Card). 

The registration application is subject to a processing fee. The fee can be paid in the e-service Enter Finland or at the Finnish Immigration Service when submitting your application or proving you identity.

After completing your application, book an appointment in the appointment system of the Finnish Immigration Service to prove your identity or to submit your application. Processing an online application will not start until you visit the service point to prove your identity and show your original documents. 

Further information from MIGRI's website.


Citizens of Nordic Countries

Citizens of the Nordic countries need neither a visa nor a residence permit to reside or work in Finland. Citizens of the Nordic countries are also not required to have a passport or any other identity document. However, they must be able to prove their identity and verify that they are a Nordic citizen if necessary. A driving licence is not acceptable proof of identity, nor does it indicate the nationality of the holder. Nordic citizens are registered by the local register offices. Nordic citizens are required to register if they reside in Finland for more than six months.