Residence Permit (non-EU-citizens)
After you have been accepted to study in Finland, start the application process for the residence permit immediately. Read the MIGRI Bulletin.
** Due to the COVID19, it is currently not possible to visit the Finnish Missions / Embassies in different countries for identification related to the residence permit process. It is however possible to submit the online application via the Finnish Immigration Service’s online service Enter Finland but the processing will only start after your identity has been verified. This may cause delays in arriving to Finland to start your studies in Kajaani. Read more **
Applying for the Residence Permit
The application must be done abroad, before arriving to Finland. Start by checking the requirements from https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-application-for-studies. After filling in the online application, apply for an appointment in a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) for identification and fingerprinting. The processing of the application will start after you've visited the Embassy/mission.
The permit can be granted for two years if you have sufficient funds for that. It is required that you have 560 euros/months at your disposal for the permit to be granted.
Prepare for the application the following:
- Acceptance letter from a Finnish university
- Health insurance covering medical expenses up to at least 40 000 euros. After arriving to Finland, apply for a home municipality to be eligible for public health care.
- Sufficient funds: 13 440 euros for two years as a bank deposit / scholarship / grant. For one year's residence permit, you'll need 6 720 euros.
- Proven by a bank statement with you as an account owner. It is recommended that you arrange for adequate funding for the entire period of studies before leaving your home country.
- Documentation of the paid tuition fee
- It is recommended to apply for the Finnish social security number already with the residence permit application (included in the application)
Students must wait for the residence permit in their home country. Please note that it takes several weeks (2 - 3 months) to receive the permit and that it is not possible to hurry the process.
Information for EU citizens